Haven Home Health Care is RN owned and operated. Haven HHC believes that our greatest resource are our employees and we put our employees first. We strive to keep them satisfied and we have a large network of rewarding health care and nursing career opportunities available including per diem or local nursing jobs.

Haven Home Health Care is comprised as an umbrella of Healthcare services allowing diversity in Job assignment and location. You’ll find schedules to fit your lifestyle – you choose your hours and days — with a wide variety of assignments. Whether you are looking for a per diem or a staff position, we offer a wide range of nursing career opportunities to choose from. When you work with Haven Home Health Care there’s never a fee or the headaches of self-employment. We take care of your career so you can take care of your patients and enjoy a satisfying career.

We treat all job candidates as employees NOT independent contractors, click below for independent contractor rules and why we avoid these relationships,,id=99921,00.html

If you’re a nurse or Allied Health Professional looking for a change and desire an agency that will focus on you,  then consider Haven HHC and a travel assignment with us. Through Haven Home Health Care there are endless opportunities for nurses and Allied Travel professionals throughout the United States. We offer a variety of clinical settings form short term to long term assignments. Call our office for details at 866-55-HAVEN (42836)

With Haven Home Health Care, you can be assured that you are working for a nursing company you can count on. We have been in the healthcare business for more than 10 years. If you are looking for quality health care and nursing career opportunities, look to Haven Home Health Care.

Each travel nurse is as unique as the reasons they travel and places they choose to go on assignment. We understand this, and are dedicated to working with each individual to find the assignment that satisfies the reasons you choose to travel. Whether it is top pay, location, interests, or career goals, we have the best travel nursing jobs available – you choose where you want to go and we get you there.

Each travel nurse is as unique as the reasons they travel and places they choose to go on assignment. We understand this, and are dedicated to working with each individual to find the assignment that satisfies the reasons you choose to travel. Whether it is top pay, location, interests, or career goals, we have the best travel nursing jobs available – you choose where you want to go and we get you there.


Q: What is the tax advantage program?

Our tax advantage program provides a way for you to keep more of the money you earn. While other nurse staffing companies have started offering similar programs, Haven HHC has been offering these valuable tax advantages for years!

Q: What type of facilities will I work at as a travel nurse?

For your travel nursing needs Haven HHC has a variety of opportunities—large to small hospitals, major metro areas to rural communities—and of course, access to the nation’s top teaching facilities. With travel nursing, choosing a fast-paced lifestyle or a quiet, peaceful environment is as simple as discussing your preferences with your Haven HHC recruiter.

Q: Will I need more than one license as a travel nurse?

You must have a current nursing license in the state of your assignment. Haven HHC reimburses the full amount of the licensing application fee.

Q: How are the hourly rates for each travel nursing assignment determined?

Rates vary with the cost of living for the area. You’ll often find travel nurse hourly rates are higher than staff nurse rates due to shift differential, weekend differential, charge pay and other factors.

Q: Are travel nursing assignments always 13 weeks in length?

Thirteen weeks is the travel nursing industry standard, but with RN Network you can often choose 4- to 26-week assignments. Occasionally, 52-week assignments are available.

Q: How do your benefits compare to other travel nursing staffing companies?

We are proud to bring you the most comprehensive and customized benefits package in the travel nursing staffing industry. We offer day-one PPO coverage, with a ZERO premium option. In addition to top pay, we offer a large list of additional benefits and bonuses for your travel nursing career. See our Travel Nursing benefits section for details.

Travel Tax Rules Frequently Asked Questions

What are the requirements for receiving travel benefits (meal per diem, housing and transportation)?

In order to receive travel benefits, we must expect that the travel nurse will incur travel costs and that his or her work assignment must not be within commuting distance the tax home.

What are the requirements to qualify for tax-free travel benefits?

There are three main tax rules that must be met for these travel benefits to be nontaxable compensation. 1) The travel nurse must have a permanent tax home. 2) The assignment must not be within commuting distance of the permanent tax home. 3) The assignment including extensions may not extend beyond one year. The first rule is complex and can be quite subjective depending on the travel nurse nurse’s facts and circumstances. More detailed information for all three rules is available in the Assignment Contract Package and on

What are the consequences if one or more of these rules are not met?

If the travel nurse fails to meet the first rule, all travel benefits must be treated as taxable compensation from the beginning of the assignment. The taxable compensation would include all meal per diems, housing allowances or company paid housing costs, and mileage reimbursements. This compensation would be subject to applicable payroll tax withholding. If the travel nurse maintains a permanent tax home and the assignment is within commuting distance of that tax home, no travel benefits will be paid because it is not reasonable to believe those costs will be incurred. If the one-year limit rule is failed, all of the travel benefits must be treated as taxable compensation as soon as it becomes known that the one-year limit will be exceeded. Generally, it is considered known at the time of the signing of the assignment extension that will make the total length of the assignment (plus extensions) beyond one year. The taxable benefit treatment goes into effect on such signing date and would continue through the remainder of the extended assignment.

When must the Tax Home Representation form be completed?

The Tax Home Representation form must be completed prior to commencement of the travel nurse’s first assignment, upon the extension of the assignment, and whenever the travel nurse executes a new Professional Services Agreement. The form should also be completed whenever there is a change in the travel nurse’s tax home status. The travel nurse should retain the Tax Home Determination worksheet.

Who makes the final determination on whether the travel nurse has a permanent tax home?

Because the determination of the tax home status is sensitive to the facts and circumstances of the travel nurse and can be highly subjective, the travel nurse (in consultation with his/her tax advisor) must make the final determination and does so with the execution of the Tax Home Representation Form.

Who monitors the commuting and one-year limit rules?

The recruiter with the consultation of the Payroll and Tax Departments should monitor both of these rules and inform the travel nurse of the status since the tax treatment may be a critical factor in determining whether the travel nurse accepts the assignment or assignment extension. The one-year limit can easily be evaluated prior to each assignment extension, and the time and distance criteria for commuting can be determined from Internet mapping sites such as MapQuest.

Why is the Housing Allowance Representation Form required?

In order to pay a tax-free housing per diem, not only do the requirements listed above need to be met, but the company must also have a “reasonable belief” that temporary lodging expenses are actually incurred by the travel nurse while away from their tax home on assignment. This form provides “reasonable belief”.

What is the purpose for the travel reimbursement form?

The form is designed to document the “business” mileage driven by the travel nurse so that the travel allowance paid can be treated as nontaxable compensation. “Business” miles include the miles to and from the tax home, to the assignment housing, and the workday round trip from the assignment lodging to the client’s worksite. As long as the form is completed in a timely manner and the travel nurse meets the three tax rules (1. has a tax home, 2. assignment, including extensions, is less than a year, 3. assignment is not within commuting distance) the reimbursement will be treated as a non-taxable reimbursement.

When and where should the travel reimbursement form be submitted?

The Travel Reimbursement form should be submitted shortly after completing the trip from the tax home to the assignment housing and shortly after returning home or driving directly to the next assignment. Nurses must submit the forms via fax to 866-55-HAVEN (42836)

When will the reimbursement payment be made?

The allowance will be paid with the next regular paycheck if received by the payroll department on the Friday morning prior to the travel nurse’s regular pay day.

What if the nurse does not return to their tax home after the assignment, but instead drives directly to a new assignment?

The travel nurse should submit the Travel Reimbursement form claiming the mileage driven from the ending assignment to the new assignment.

What is the purpose for the travel reimbursement form?

The form is designed to document the “business” mileage driven by the travel nurse so that the travel allowance paid can be treated as nontaxable compensation. “Business” miles include the miles to and from the tax home, to the assignment housing, and the workday round trip from the assignment lodging to the client’s worksite. As long as the form is completed in a timely manner and the travel nurse meets the three tax rules (1. has a tax home, 2. assignment, including extensions, is less than a year, 3. assignment is not within commuting distance) the reimbursement will be treated as a non-taxable reimbursement.

What is the maximum travel reimbursement amount?

The travel cap limit will be predetermined for each assignment.

Who can respond to the travel nurse’s travel reimbursement questions?

The recruiter or the Payroll department should be able to respond to all such questions.

What receipts or other documents should the travel nurse retain in support of the travel reimbursement?

Since the reimbursement is solely based upon miles driven, nurses do not need to keep gasoline costs or other detailed receipts. The client billing records, time cards and other payroll records will provide business purpose and proximity support for the travel reimbursement form submitted.

Is state income tax withholding required for the worksite state(s) and/or my state of residence (home state)?

Most states subject travel nurses to taxation in the state where the work is performed regardless of the travel nurse’s state of residence. Generally, there is no minimum work period in terms of days or weeks to avoid the worksite state taxation. Worksite state withholding might not apply if the income is below the state’s minimum amounts, but this is unlikely for a travel nurse’s compensation level, even for just a week. Certain neighboring states do have reciprocity agreements where the states agree the worksite state will not require withholding of income tax from compensation paid to a nonresident. State withholding will be made for the worksite state unless your home state and worksite state have a reciprocity agreement. Where the worksite state has no income tax or has a tax rate lower than your home state, your home state may require withholding to the extent their tax rate is greater. Certain home states may require full income tax withholding regardless of the treatment or magnitude of the withholding in the worksite state; this amounts to double tax withholding. This double tax withholding should be partially or fully eliminated through tax credits claimed on the home state annual income tax return (see discussion below).

Am I required to file a state income tax return in the worksite state(s)?

Travel nurses will generally be required to file a state income tax return for the worksite state if it has a personal income tax. Assuming you are claiming an appropriate amount of exemptions on Form W-4, the required withholding on your compensation should approximate the return liability so that any payment or refund due on the return should be minimal. Alaska, Florida, Nevada, New Hampshire, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Washington, and Wyoming do not have an income tax on personal services (wages).

What income is taxed in my home state and the worksite state(s)?

Only the compensation a travel nurse earned from an assignment in the worksite state should be subject to tax in the worksite state. However, generally all income you earn (including out-of-state compensation) will be subject to tax in your home state. Your home state will generally provide you a full or partial credit for the taxes paid to the worksite state(s). The credit process on your home state tax return should partially or fully eliminate the double tax, except to the extent the worksite state has a higher tax rate than your home state.

Won’t my working in multiple states make my year-end income tax return filings more complex?

Yes, travel nurses may have state income tax filings in two or more states including their tax home state. If you are a tax savvy do-it-yourselfer, reasonably priced tax compliance software can expedite the process. Otherwise, we recommend you arrange for a tax professional to prepare these returns on your behalf. Each non-resident state filing might add from $25 to $150 to their fees.

Will my state of residence be challenged by the state taxing authorities?

Possibly. Although the state taxing authorities generally follow federal rules, it is possible a worksite state might contend they should be reported as the tax home state requiring you to file a “resident” income tax return (as compared to “non-resident” return) in their state. This might be particularly true if you work most of a year or more in a single state and you have substantial other income that would be subject to tax as a resident. Due to subjective facts and various residency rules for each of the states, this matter is beyond the scope of this brief discussion. You should consult with your tax advisor if you believe this issue might apply to you.


Transportation benefits, meal & incidental per diem, or housing allowance or cost will not be paid when the work assignment is within “commuting” distance of the tax home. For travel costs to be nontaxable, the employee must be “traveling away from home” as loosely defined in IRS Publication 463 and elsewhere. This discussion presumes the travel nurse has a permanent tax home and the assignment(s) at a given location does not exceed one year.


The tax rules do not provide a precise time or distance criteria for what is considered “commuting” vs. “traveling away from home.” Commuting is generally referred to as within the worker’s metropolitan area, but also means a broader geographical area in a rural setting. A guideline of 50 miles one-way is commonly used, but is not an IRS commuting guideline and can be too short a distance in a rural interstate setting where 50 miles could be traveled in 45 minutes. A minimum 50-mile limit does apply in the moving expense rules, but it should not be a definitive cut-off for this away from home determination. However, the 50-mile limit might be a conservative cut-off in a congested urban/ suburban area while a reasonable cut-off could be as high as 100 miles in a rural interstate access area. Mapping sites on the Internet can readily quantify the tax home to worksite time and distance. Note that travel time and the travel nurse’s intentions are generally more important factors.


Consistent with the discussions in IRS Publication 463, “time” may be more appropriate criteria than “distance” in determining whether an employee is commuting or traveling away from home overnight. In the Publication, the IRS defines travel away from home as resulting from work duties away from the employee’s “general area of their tax home” and where “sleep or rest” is necessary to meet the work demands while away from home. Other rulings suggest that the workday and travel time must last substantially longer than an ordinary day’s work and for which an overnight stay is necessary. Again, no clear guidance is provided and it becomes a subjective facts and circumstances decision based upon common practices in the area. However, the one-way travel minimums could approach 2 hours in an urban/suburban setting and 1 1/2 hour in a rural setting. Note that longer work shifts of 10 or 12 hours would generally justify a short travel time cut-off.


If the travel nurse will be staying in corporate provided housing that is good evidence they will not be routinely returning to their tax home during the workweek. However, if the travel nurse has indicated or implied an intention to more than occasionally return home during the work week, that would be a strong indication the assignment is within commuting distance of the tax home.


A conservative cut-off for the one-way commuting determination might be the lesser of 50 miles or 2 hours in an urban/suburban area and 100 miles or 1½ hours in a rural area. This time and distance guideline could be reduced depending on the typical common practice of the assignment area and for longer work shifts. The travel nurse and/or recruiter might consult with the client to determine the typical commuting time and distance for the area. If the assignment is deemed to be within commuting distance of the tax home, travel costs and benefits (transportation benefits, meal & incidental per diem, or housing allowance or cost) will not be paid by the company.

One-year Limitation and Taxes Information

The IRS has long held that for an employee to be traveling away-from-home on business to receive tax- free travel benefits (meal, lodging, and transportation) the travel assignment must be temporary. Tax legislation and a clarifying IRS ruling in the early 1990s provides that for an assignment to be temporary it must be expected to last less than one year and cannot be indefinite in length. Otherwise the lodging at or near the worksite is considered the employee’s tax home and all travel benefits paid would be considered taxable compensation. The rational for the rule is that for an assignment lasting more than one year, the employee would be reasonably expected to move his residence to minimize travel expenses.


More technically, the rules provide that an away from home assignment will meet this temporary requirement (travel expenses not subject to income tax) if the assignment is expected to last less than one year, and does in fact last less than one year. If an assignment is extended for which it will then last more than one year, all transportation, meal & incidental per diem, and housing allowances and corporate paid housing costs must be treated as taxable compensation beginning with expenses incurred when it first becomes known that the one-year limit is anticipated to be exceeded; not just when the 366th day is reached. Expenses incurred and paid prior to when it is first anticipated the one- year limit will be exceeded do not need to be reclassified as compensation, but all future expenses must be treated as taxable compensation.

The one-year limitation applies to the general work location, not just the same assignment, and would apply even if the travel nurse were employed by a different agency and continued to work in the same general area (within commuting distance of the current worksite or temporary lodging) without a significant break in service.

Since all travel nurse assignments should have definite lengths and be less than one-year, the uncertainty for indefinite assignments should not be applicable. A taxation concern arises when the assignment including extensions begins to approach the one-year limit. The travel nurse and recruiter must jointly monitor such situations.


As explained in the One-Year Limitation discussion, the IRS has long held that for away-from-home travel benefits (meal, housing, transportation) to be provided tax-free to the employee, the assignment must be “temporary” and “temporary” is defined as less than one year and not indefinite. The rule is fairly objective. However, a very contentious issue is how long the traveler must stay away from the desired client assignment or location to start-over the counting of this one-year period; restart the one-year clock.


The IRS has specifically ruled that a break of three weeks away from the current assignment work location is too short to start over the counting on the one-year limitation. The IRS has also ruled that a break from the assignment location of seven months is significant enough to restart the counting. Unfortunately, the IRS has provided no guidance for break lengths in between these extremes. Case law provides limited guidance and is very fact sensitive, other than concluding that annual seasonal work will not restart the clock.

Company Position

We believe (consistent with NATHO guidelines) a break in an assignment of 13 or more weeks should be significant enough to restart the counting for the one-year limitation. The 13 weeks is approximately midway between the 3-week and 7-month ruling and is also the typical length of an assignment. The break may be for pleasure, education, another assignment, or any other reasons or combination as long as the break is in a different location outside of typical commuting distance from the current assignment and the current temporary housing. In addition, there must be no written or oral understanding during this break period of returning to the assignment or assignment area; otherwise the assignment break may not re-start the counting period. Multiple short breaks totaling more than 13 weeks will not accomplish the necessary break. As a result of the seasonal case law rulings, school-based assignments will not achieve a break in service for summer vacations.

Travel Nurses’ Frequently Asked Questions on Supplemental Wage Payment

What payments are considered supplemental wage payments?

Supplemental wage payments include bonuses (such as completion, extension, or referral bonuses), lump sum vacation pay, taxable transportation reimbursements, taxable housing costs or allowances, taxable meal per diems, and other forms of taxable reimbursements other than regular wages.

How and when will these supplemental wage payments be paid to the travel nurse?

Supplemental wage payments will generally be paid on the next pay cycle after all of the documentation authorizing and approving the payment has been received by the Payroll Department. The amount will be combined with the next week’s regular pay unless the travel nurse had no regular earnings for that week; then a separate check or direct deposit will be made.

What Federal payroll taxes will be withheld from the supplemental wage payments?

Federal FICA tax (Social Security and Medicare) will be withheld at the required 7.65% rate on all taxable supplemental wages. Federal income tax will be withheld at the IRS required flat 25% supplemental pay tax rate for bonuses, lump sum vacation pay, and other pay that is not routine (weekly/monthly) in nature. Taxable housing costs and allowances, meal per diems, and other weekly taxable supplemental payments will be added to the current week’s regular pay to determine the Federal income tax withholding according to the standard IRS withholding tables. The tax determined under the withholding tables will depend on the travel nurse’s W-4 status and the magnitude of the base pay and supplemental pay. The Federal income tax withholding could range from 10% to 35%.

To what state will supplemental wage payments be reported and what state income tax be withheld?

If the supplemental wage payment is associated with an assignment in a single state, it will be reported as income earned in that assignment state and that state’s tax (if any) will be withheld. Additional state tax may be withheld for the travel nurse’s tax home state depending on the tax rules and tax rates of the tax home state as compared to the assignment state’s tax rates. If the supplemental wage payment does not apply to any one assignment or more than one assignment, then it will be sourced to the travel nurse’s tax home state and only that state’s tax rates will apply, if any.

Will supplemental wage payments be subject to 401k contribution withholding?

The completion bonus, extension bonus, lump sum vacation pay, and any other type of bonus amount will be subject to 401k contributions withholding if the travel nurse is participating in the 401k Plan. Taxable housing allowances and costs, and taxable travel reimbursements will not be subject to 401k contribution withholding.

Tax information contained in this document is not intended to be used, and cannot be used, by any person as a basis for avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed by the IRS or any state. We recommend each taxpayer seek advice based on their circumstances from an independent tax advisor.

RN Licensure Information

Haven Home Health makes it easy for you to satisfy your RN state licensing requirements. You may use the links below to get information on RN licensing requirements in all 50 states.

For State Compact Bill Status Participating States:

For Individual State Licensing Information, see below:

State Phone Website
Alabama 800-656-5318
Alaska 907-269-8161
Arizona 602-889-5150
Arkansas 501-686-2700
California 916-322-3350
Colorado 303-894-2430
Connecticut 860-509-8373
DC 877-244-1689
Delaware 302-244-1689
Florida 850-245-4125
Georgia 478-207-1640
Hawaii 808-586-3000
Idaho 208-334-3110
Illinois 217-782-8556
Indiana 317-232-2960
Iowa 515-281-3255
Kansas 785-296-4929
Kentucky 502-429-3332
Louisiana 225-763-3570
Maine 207-287-1133
Maryland 888-202-9861
Massachusetts 800-414-0168
Michigan 517-335-0918
Minnesota 612-617-2270
Mississippi 601-987-4188
Missouri 573-751-1416
Montana 406-841-2340
Nebraska 402-471-4376
Nevada 888-590-6726
New Hampshire 603-271-2323
New Jersey 973-504-6430
New Mexico 505-841-8340
New York 518-474-3845
North Carolina 919-782-3211
North Dakota 701-328-9777
Ohio 614-466-3947
Oklahoma 405-962-1800
Oregon 503-731-4745
Pennsylvania 717-783-7144
Rhode Island 401-222-5700
South Carolina 803-896-4550
South Dakota 605-362-2760
Tennessee 800-778-4123
Texas 512-305-7400
Utah 866-275-3675
Vermont 802-828-2453
Virginia 804-662-9909
Washington 360-236-4747
West Virginia 304-558-3596
Wisconsin 608-266-2112
Wyoming 307-777-7601

Haven Home Health provides this information as a service to you. We are not responsible for inaccurate information. If you discover an error or would like additional information, please email